Many people have written for advice to assist them in promoting their Four-Way Test Essay Contests. I have accumulated a some basic points to help drive school and community participation:
- Promoting Participation – Getting Ready for the program
- Create a one-sheet brochure targeted to the students that focuses on the prizes money and community service.
- Create a one-sheet “teacher’s helper” which will provide historical information, community benefits, contest guidelines and dates that all assays are due for judging.
- Offer to be a guest speaker to middle school or high school classes to introduce the essay contest. Please provide historical information as well as why and how this program benefits your community today.
- Student and Teacher Recognition
- Provide a monetary prize to each student winner.
- Provide monetary support of a school program at the choice of the winning teacher, this will help drive participation in future years .
- Invite winning students and teachers to your to read their essays to your membership .
- Create a printed booklet of all winners to hand out to members and guests.
- Publish the winners on www.thefourwaytest.com
- Request your local newspaper to publish the winners.
- Enter your winning essays into your district essay contest.
I hope these ideas help. I am sure there are many more ideas and comments. Please feel free to leave your comments and I will update this article with the ideas that are submitted.